Frequently asked questions

What are opioids?

Opioids are chemicals (natural or synthetic) that reduce feelings of pain. Common prescription opioids include: Percocet® and OxyContin® (oxycodone),Vicodin® (hydrocodone), codeine, methadone, fentanyl, heroin, and morphine.

Can I become addicted to opioids even if my Doctor prescribes them?

YES. Prescription opioids are highly addictive and are extremely dangerous when taken differently than how they were prescribed or when taken for a prolonged period of time. Everyone is different. Some people are more suseptable and may become addicted more easiy than others. Some people are more susceptible to addiction than others. But nobody is immune. For many, opioids bestow an immediate sense of tranquility, only to trap the user in a vicious cycle that essentially rewires the brain.

How many people died in 2017 from AN opioid overdose?

According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 72,000 people died from a drug overdose in 2017. In the United States, a person dies from an opioid overdose every 12.5 minutes.

What is an inpatient Rehab Facility?

An inpatient rehab facility is a residential treatment center where patients reside for 30-90 days, depending on the severity of the individual's addiction. Addiction treatment centers provide a medically-monitored environment where patients receive 24/7 medical attention. Patients also receive group and individual therapy, which is extremely helpful in a person's recovery. A rehab facility is the first step towards recovery. You should also have a "door-to-door" plan in place for sober living accommodations directly from rehab. Sober living is considered the bridge between recovery and the real world.

What is a Sober Living House?

A sober living house is sometimes referred to as a halfway house. Sober living operates as a bridge between a rehab facility and the real world. Sober living homes can be a perfect option for people in recovery. Residents are encouraged to relearn and develop healthy coping skills and habits for when they return home.

Can I become addicted to opioids?

Opioids are powerful painkillers that can be highly addictive. Whether the opioid is prescribed by a doctor or acquired illegally, these drugs can cause serious changes to your body. Anyone who takes opioids can become addicted. Some people are more susceptible to addiction than others. But nobody is immune. For many, opioids like heroin entice by bestowing an immediate sense of tranquility, only to trap the user in a vicious cycle that essentially rewires the brain.

Why is support beneficial to families with loved ones addicted to opioids?

Support is extremely beneficial because it helps loved ones realize that they are not alone. Knowing that others are going through or have gone through this struggle can be very helpful. Having a group to talk to, cry with, and ask questions in confidence with no stigma attached is very comforting. On our menu bar click on Education and Resources, then go to, "If you or a loved one need help," to find support.

What Paraphernalia might your find when someone is using opioids?

There are a variety of items you may find; needles, orange needle caps, spoons with or without bent handles, small cotton balls, straws, tinfoil squares with black lines on them, pens with the ink taken out, alcohol swabs, stamp-sized baggies, and lighters are examples of items you may find.

Is continued drug abuse a voluntary behavior?

Initially the decision to take drugs is voluntary. whether it be from a prescription written for you by a dr., or by making the decision to take it illegally. Either way, with continued use, a person’s ability to control taking this drug can quickly turn into an addiction. The choice to take the drug becomes "a must" rather than a choice. The drug impairs an individuals self-control is the onset of addiction. Brain imaging shows that people with addiction have physical changes in the critical judgemnet areas of the brain. This effects decision making, memory, learning, and behavior control. It is believed by Scientists that these changes rewire how the brain works and helps explain the destructive behaviors of addiction.

Some Recognizable Signs of Drug Use and opioid Abuse:

Changes in Behavior

  • Skips classes, misses work

  • Spending a lot of cash, asking for cash, missing cash

  • Changes in friends and relationships

  • Friends report they are worried about the individual

  • Unusually quiet, withdrawn, more irritable, cranky

  • Argumentative, moody

  • Withdrawn from family

  • Missing items or cash from house

  • Secretive behavior, lying, stealing


Physical Signs

  • Pupils smaller or larger than normal

  • Frequent sneezing

  • Weight loss

  • No appetite

  • Sleeping all the time

  • Lack of  personal hygiene

  • Unexplained disappearances

  • Sweaty or shaky hands

  • Runny nose, persistent cough, nausea, vomiting


                                         Who can you go to for advice?

  • A Parent, family, a friend, or someone you know that may be going through or have gone through the same experience.

  • School counselor, teacher

  •  Dr, social worker


You may decide to talk to the individual directly regarding your concerns


  • Make sure you are fully prepared before you have the talk. have in mind, or even write down what you are going to say.  This will help you to stay on track and cover what you intend to say.

  • Ask individual how they feel. Remember this is about them.

  • Make sure not to add shame or guilt, they already feel it inside.  Even if they don’t show signs of shame they feel it.

  • Don’t initiate your conversation when the person has used.

  • Don’t have the talk when you or the other person is angry.  This only provokes more anger with negative results.

  • Talk about what you have seen—how they’ve been acting.

  • Have some examples of why you are concerned, and make sure they know that you love them and are concerned for them.

  • Remember this is about the person’s well-being.

  • Stay calm.

  • This could be the first step in the right direction if they are willing to admit that they have a problem.

  • Have some options for help on hand in case they are ready at that moment to get help.

containing controlled substances?



Permanent collection sites;

To dispose of unneeded medicines, you can take your medicine to DEA-registered collectors.  Simply google DEA registered collectors and enter your zip code. Walgreens, CVS and Walmart offer drop sites as well. These sites safely and securely collect and dispose of pharmaceuticals containing controlled substances and other medicines.

In your community, authorized permanent collection sites may be available in retail pharmacies, hospitals, and law enforcement facilities. Some authorized collection sites may also have collection receptacles, referred to as “drop-boxes.” These boxes assist consumers in safely disposing of their unused medicines.

Zac43Foundation is a foundation within Central Indiana Community Foundation(CICF), a 501(c)(3) non-profit. ​Donations are tax deductible -and can be made through Central Indiana Community Foundations (CICF). Make sure to put Zac43Foundation in the donation box.


Contributions via check (please write Zac43Foundation on the memo line) may be sent to : CICF 615 N. Alabama St.#119, Indianapolis, IN 46204

Medical Disclaimer
THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. The information contained on this
website is not intended to be substituted for, or to be relied upon as, medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. This website is for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your
physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a
medical condition.

© Copyright 2019 Zac43Foundation